Thursday, July 14, 2016

Long lost cousin

I received an email from a long lost cousin by marriage today:

Hi Eve,

I’m Michael Schwartz, and we are “kin” through the marriage of Max Tobin to Minnie Dubrow Tobin...You turn out to be my “father’s cousin’s sister-in-law’s granddaughter.” Whew….

And I enjoy your Dubrow blog (grew up till age 15 or 16 on East 16th Street between Ave N and O – Dubrow’s was up the block at 16th Street and Kings Highway – I would walk pass (sic) on the way to Junior High School twice a day and often stop in and talk to the various relatives and get fed too……

I’ve attached a photo of “Uncle”  Simcha Tabachnick  -- at my Bar Mitzvah – that’s me eating the drum stick… He was Max Tobin’s dad (Max of course was Minnie Dubrow Tobin’s husband). Simcha Tabachnick was also my grandmother Riva (Chast) Schwartz’s brother—he would avidly participate in Menachim Riva family circle meetings which were all the rage “back in the day."

2 comments:

Michael Schwartz said...

There are two other cousins through marriage in the picture. Looking at the photo, on your far right, is Michael Chesner, a great-grandchild of Uncle Simcha's sister Riva and grandson of her daughter Gussie Siroty. And two guy's over, in the back, looking over my shoulder, is Alan Abrams, grandson of Riva's eldest daughter Ida Greenberg. -- Both are my second cousins (my dad David Schwartz was the baby of the family).
King's Highway sure was a center of action and Dubrow's was THE place to go to!!

Martin Biseter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.